Monday, July 23, 2007

Why Happy Feet and Polar Express are SCARY movies!


I've posted the latest pictures of Madeleine's ice skating lessons and thought I'd give you a run down of how lessons are going.


Lesson One

Loves the skates, wants white ones, doesn't understand why she has to wear the brown rentals.

Maddy: "These are not my favorite. They're too....too.....just brown."


Mommy: "Maybe if you stick with ice skating, Santa Claus will bring you pretty white ones."


Apparently this option is acceptable. Off to the rink with Taylor to find their class. We enter the rink area and I see Maddy surveying the scene very carefully. It turns out skating is a HIT! She loves it! Taylor and Maddy are in Skating for Tots, Lily and Austin sit on the sidelines with goldfish and teddy grahams. Cut to end of lesson, Madeleine is crying....


"But I don't want ice skating to be over!" Yes! Score one big point for Ice Skating!


Lesson Two

So we start with complete enthusiasm about getting the skates on, wearing a pretty sweater, having fun with Taylor.....it's time to go out on the ice.....tears, tears and more tears!


Maddy (screaming): "I don't want to do skating!"


Where did this come from? She spent the entire lesson two crying. Cried through skating, cried through standing, cried through sitting in her plastic chair while the teacher pushed her around on the ice, cried through it all.


Lesson Three

Maddy: "Mommy, I was crying last time."


Mommy: "Yes you were, but ice skating is fun."


Maddy: "Yes, I love ice skating. I'm going to be a big girl."


Phew! Maybe last week was just a bad week. Everything was fine until it was time to go out on the ice and then, once again came the screeching "I don't want to ice skate." I'm baffled as to what is freaking her out.


Mommy: "Maddy what is wrong? You loved skating last time!"


Maddy: "Is this the kind where you go through?"


Huh?


Maddy: "You know, it breaks and you fall in? With the water?"


She's desperately trying to make me understand, and finally I do. It turns out we've watched Polar Express and Happy Feet one too many times. The poor thing was terrified that the ice would break when she was on it and she'd fall through! Whether she has some mad ice skating skills is yet to be determined, but I have learned that without a doubt she has inherited her mother's overactive imagination. I guess I will have to teach her to use her powers only for good.

0 comments: