Friday, December 28, 2007

Teenagers

So I've really been looking forward to a break from teenagers for two weeks. I do like and appreciate them. I could never be an elementary school teacher, don't think I have the right kind of patience, but teenagers definitely are patience testers in their own loveable ways and as much as you love them, you do need a break. Funny thing is, here I am at home, to my surprise, with a different species of teenager called the toddler teenager. She rolls her eyes at me. She tells me she's "over it", she goes into her room to listen to music, she bosses me around when we're listening to the High School Musical Soundtrack (I always want Breakin' Free, she wants "Bop to the Top"), she's moody and she has clothing issues (I want to wash the Bratz pajamas, she wants to wear them 24/7). She also got teary eyed when Troy and Gabriella got into a fight during High School Musical II. She turned to me and said "Mom, he loves her."
Me: "Yes he does Maddy."
Madeleine: "But he can't be with her."
I turn and stare at her. Did that really just come out of her mouth?
Madeleine: "It's okay, she needs to be alone right now."
Really? Is she really saying this? Oh my god, the real teenage years....the ones with dating and break ups and bitchy friends.....are going to be a breeze! My four year old toddler teenager totally gets it already! I wish I had been so astute when I was crying over guys who should have been crying over me!

0 comments: