Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Driving Miss Crazy (and her crazy redheaded sister)

Each day I pick the girls up from preschool, the conversation is pretty much the same. I ask what they did at school, they say nothing. I ask if they drew pictures or read stories, they say no. I'm glad I'm getting my money's worth. After they finish their "car snack" and we fight over song choices....Radio Disney or High School Musical soundtrack, we get into the good conversation. Today's was pretty funny.

I'm driving....I hear a loud thump from something being hurled at the back window.
Madeleine: "Mommy, Lily threw her doll"
Me: "Lily, we do not throw things in the car, that is dangerous and that scared mommy!" I look in the rearview mirror at the wasteland that is my backseat.
Me: "Okay, we're going to get out of the habit of throwing our toys on the floor in the car when we're done. The next thing that is thrown on the floor, mommy will take and put in a bag."
Madeleine: "And give it to kids without toys?"
Oh - good idea!
Me: "Yes!"
Madeleine: "do they have arms?"
huh?
Me: "Yes, the kids have arms."
Madeleine: "Do they have legs?"
Me: "Yes, they have legs."
Madeleine: "Oh. (pause) They just don't have toys." I'm sure she's thinking, they have arms and legs so their not that unfortunate.
Me: "that is right."
Madeleine: "How come they have arms and legs and no toys?"
Me: "Well, most children have arms and legs, but some children are not as lucky as you. They don't have extra money to spend on toys."
Madeleine: (exasperated) "Well, they can just go to Walmart and get toys (sigh!)"

She's right. Walmart is one of your more affordable outlets for toys - I can't really argue with that and so I don't, I quickly change the subject.

Me: "Look girls, we're getting off the freeway, we're in Chino Hills!"
Lily: "Oh I LOVE Gino Mills!"

1 comments:

manelebayb said...

LOL -- I can totally relate! We gotta get our kids together...