Saturday, June 28, 2008

Oh yes it's 80s night....





...Oh what a night!


So, in my effort to immerse myself into my new community and of course, do so on a budget, I thought it would be fun to try out the Wednesday night concert in the park. Being that it was 80s night made it even more appealing and somehow, after a lazy day at home, motivating to get dressed and go enjoy some music. The first plan was to go to the store and get stuff for sandwiches, some healthy fruits and all the fixins for an old-fashioned picnic in the park. But I've made peace with who I am and how I plan and at 6:40 (5 minutes before showtime), I found myself sitting in the drive thru line at El Pollo Loco with my disgruntled offspring in the backseat making sure I knew how starving they were. Of course, what child who just snacked on yogurt and a granola bar is truly starving? This is why I can make light of their unattended "needs". 15 minutes, three BRC's and 1 spilled lemonade later, we were making our way through the Chino Hills concert crowd.


Thank goodness for cell phones because as it turned out, just about everybody in Chino Hills was apparently jonesin' for some Bon Jovi and there was no way I was going to find my the Buhacs and Tinsleys, who managed to get to the event I invited them to, on time. Oh and did I mention that Jason had to work a late night checking extras in on a set in North Hollywood, so I was single mom in a park full of dogs (for Lily, this is equivalent to strangers with candy), two kids and no leash? It's amazing the three of us made it to our group.


I spread out my quilt, passed out the BRC's.....no one was interested in food even though minutes earlier they were too famished to lift their heads, and enjoyed the music and the company. The kids were dancing and playing, the adults were reliving our teen years with songs that reminded us of our first dance, our first kiss and our first....well, you get the idea.


It was so much fun, we all agreed to meet next Wednesday, even though next week is (gasp) Country Music week! Jennifer offered that just maybe she and John could recruit me over to their side of the music scene. As long as they throw in some Dixie Chicks or Faith Hill....hey I'm game. Does this mean I have to fish out my black and silver glittery cowboy hat? The one Jennifer told me I could never wear to a real cowboy place like Montana's unless I wanted a cowboy boot shoved up my a$$? Stay tuned....

0 comments: